Radiation Method For Water Content Determination In Soil
As we all know that water content or moisture content is the amount of water present in the soil. In this article, we are going to discuss Radiation Method for water content determination in soil.
The radiation method for water content determination is based on the principle of radiation.
In the radiation method, we use radioactive isotopes for the determination of the water content of soil mass.
In in-situ conditions, the radiation method is extremely useful for the determination of water content in the soil mass.
Apparatus Required For Radiation Method
- Radioactive isotopes– Cobalt 60 is used as radioactive isotopes material.
- Capsule– Isotopes materials are placed inside the capsule.
- Steel Casing-A hole insite the soil with steel casing.
- Detector– Used for the detection of the neutrons
More Read- Calcium Carbide Method For Water Content Determination In Soil
Procedure Of Radiation Method
1.First, two steel casing is created inside the soil mass and provide a small opening on the lower side of the steel casing.
2. In a capsule, we put the radioactive isotopes material such as cobalt 60.
3. Then the capsule with cobalt 60 is lowered in the first steel casing having a small opening from where the rays can come out.
4. In the second steel casing, a detector is placed that detects the rays.
5. The radioactive isotope cobalt 60 emits the neutrons that come out from the small opening in the steel casing.
6. These emitted neutrons are scattered due to the hydrogen atoms in water and lose their energy.
7. The loss of energy of neutrons is proportional to the water present in the soil mass.
More Read- Sand Bath Method For Water Content Determination Of Soil
In the radiation method, there is no need for any formula, the detector calculates on its own and gives the direct amount of water content of the soil.
Result- Average water content of the soil sample is —
More Read- Oven Drying Method For Determination Of Water Content In Soil
More Read- Alcohol Method Of Water Content Determination Of Soil
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)
The IS code for water content determination of soil is 2720 (part-2)-1973.
Before performing the radiation method we should ensure that the shielding is done properly otherwise radiation problem occurs and creates health-related problems.